Now here is where I made my mistake! I know the rules too, but I messed up big time. I didn’t leave a large enough surface for the tail end, I had so painstakingly made, to adhere to the wood box. I glued on the tail and the next morning……………….
It had fallen off and broken overnight. Even with tape, there just wasn’t enough of a surface to hold the weight. So, back to the drawing board. Upon reflection, the tail wasn’t quite to scale with the nose. There’s the silver lining, a happy mistake!
Pulling out the mold catalog again, I found a small glass form. If I cut it down and added some slots, it just might work.
Now, the new part is glazed and ready to fire, but I still haven’t solved the wings/rutters, I guess you would call them, for the tail. Steven came to the rescue and cut some out of wood for me. The end result was fantastic! Now the nose and tail looked balanced, in scale.
With the Spirit of Alex’s most challenging parts finished, we turned to the wings. Worried about the weight of the caddy, I tried some thick card stock, doubled up. No go, even with paint to seal it, over the next week the glue separated. Steven still had some small pieces of wood left over of the tail and he cut me two wings. I could feel the approach of the finish line, whew. The lining for the caddy was ready and waiting, just needed to paint those wings.
We finally had lift off! The project started with the blanket (above) and ended with
this adorable caddy for Alex’s room. As we work on new projects we find that the “happy mistakes” always seem to improve our work in ways we would have never thought of. I hoped you enjoyed our Plane adventure. Now we wait for the next challenging project to come our way!
See you soon, Cyn