For my Mom’s last birthday I gave her my first yard flower. I remember telling you that my parents always seem to get the first of anything I create. This was no exception. This was the jump off point for my flower. The 8″ dinner plate was from an order of 25 that was never picked up. I had been staring at them for a year trying to figure out what I could do to transform this plain plate into something special. Funny thing is I had that “light bulb” moment when I was out shopping and saw some pinwheels. I came home and rolled out some clay and made my own pinwheel, then casted some buttons from a mold I had gotten some years before. Everything was in place, now to start the petals.
This material called to me, it was bright, fun, and would stand out in a yard setting. They were cut out, 2 of fabric (1 printed & 1 solid), 1 of fabric stiffening, and 2 of fabric adhesive for each petal. I ironed on the adhesive to wrong side of the printed fabric and then peeled off the backing and ironed this onto the fabric stiffener. Ironing the last fabric adhesive to the other side of the fabric stiffener, peeled off the backing and finally adhered the plain fabric to that. Sheesh, hope that makes sense! To finish it off I stitched on the piping to seal up the edges.
To stave off the fading of the fabric, I sprayed each piece with a water sealer. The sealer had a bonus effect, it worked as a stiffener too. As each one dried I draped them over a bottle to achieve the curled petals.
Steven created this metal sleeve that would slip onto our yard hooks that we used for our yard plaques. I then painted the pinwheel purple and the button yellow, fired them and got every thing ready for assembly.
After soldiering through many adhesives that didn’t hold up to their bragging, I finally found an adhesive that would take the many temperature changes that naturally take place when left outside year round! The petals were adhered with the adhesive to the plate and left them to dry. Lining up the holes in the button to the holes I drilled into the button, I added some ribbon to tie them together. Just for extra strength, I added some adhesive in between them too. Finally I was ready to put the two sections together!
The test had been to see if the petals would stand up and not flop. We hung it in our front yard to see how it did. So far so good! This flower was huge, it definitely made a statement! Which got me to thinking……………… hmmmmmmm…………… Cyn