And On With The Show…..

Saturday came together perfectly.  We had a mad dash to the finish line, due to a torrential rain storm that came into town on Thursday!  Venue changed in a snap, luckily they found an alternate gathering place.  The bride and groom called everyone to let them know the new location and we were off to the races.

My Mom came into town on Wednesday and she was such an asset!  She did all the baking while I booked on the flowers.  Thursday all the boutonniere and bridal party bouquets were finished and stored in the refrigerator and Mom made the cookies Shamus had asked for.  We then got ready for Friday, gathering flowers and equipment before the rain dragged them all to the ground.


Friday morning, Mom baked the cake and I got a very early 5am start on the brides bouquets.  One for tossing and the other for keeps.  Mom had pointed out that I had to finish the spray before 3:30 in order to make it to the rehearsal.  Oh, also everyone was coming back to the house for dinner so I had to be cleaned up.   So I took a deep breath and dove in!

Step 1, Steven drilled holes in a pipe he had bent at a 90º angle at one end, it was just over 4 feet long.  We pulled the wire through the holes of the pipe, leaving them extra long for adjustments once we arrived at the new wedding venue.

Step 2, Mom and I covered the underside of the pipe with dampened floral foam.  We attached it with waxed jute and long “U” shaped pieces of wire.

Step 3, all the Baby’s Breath is scattered across the surface.  The floral foam is soft and you can stick the stems of all the flowers right into the foam.  The foam’s ability to retain water give the flowers the ability to stay fresh for a long period of time.


Step 4, we stripped of the lower branches of our Thuja and strategically placed them behind the Baby’s Breath.  This greenery would help hide the pipe and the wire we were hanging with.  It’s also the type of greenery that never dries out, it stays green and flexible for extended periods of time.


Step 5, now the fun begins!  The sunflowers are then placed into the foam.  I saved one of the large beauties to lend some composition weight at one end.  The Limelight Salvia is placed at each end to further hide the pipe and give some whimsy and polish to the ends.


Step 6, all the pearl embellished burlap ribbon that was left over from all the bouquets I made into picks for the spray and place them throughout the spray.


Step 7, fill in with the mums and alstroemerias in white and yellow.  We made sure that there was enough moisture in the foam and we moved it to the garage where it was naturally cool for the night.


Early Saturday morning, we transported all the pieces of the puzzle to create the statement for the doors.  My Mom held down the fort, which was quickly filling up as the 7 other bridesmaids arrived to get ready.  Steven, Colleen, myself, and Damion a family friend carpooled up and got to work.


Steven and Damion pulled the long wires through holes in the support bar that was attached to the doors and secured it.  Until this time I was holding my breath.  I just needed it to stay in place until after the “I do’s” were said.  I then cleared everything off around it and we brought in the “Cinderella Coach” (remember Kacie is a Disneyholic) to pay homage to Disney.


All that was left was to decorate the lower doors in order to hide all the supports.  Do you remember the pumpkins I scarred?  They were going to have a place of honor also.  So here is the finished backdrop for the wedding ceremony!


I do believe that we pulled it off!…..    Oh and the spray never even had a hiccup all day and it was still in place when we came to clean up on Sunday morning!  Cyn



About designbycyn

Sonoma County, California ceramic enthusiasts Cyn and Steven Gradek have worked in the clay medium since 1996. They had a retail store where they held classes and provided the essentials for fellow ceramic enthusiasts. The business evolved into producing for other retail outlets and artist. Which quickly grew and they closed the retail storefront and concentrated on the wholesale business. With their 3 children raised and on their own, they had time to pursue their own creativity. Cyn learned how to embroider from her Grandma Cirner at a young age. After that she found sewing, cross stitching, crocheting, well you get the jist, LOL. She hasn't met a craft that she hasn't liked. Blogging was suggested by her youngest daughter, Colleen. At first it was a battle to get her to try it, but eventually Cyn started to enjoy the exercise. The blog on Cyn's website was limiting, so Colleen got her started with Wordpress. Hope you enjoy her Adventures with Creativity!
This entry was posted in Custom, Family, Gardening and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to And On With The Show…..

  1. Theresa Boyle says:

    You forgot to say it was the photo shot of the day. I wonder how many couples had their picture taken there. Seemed like every time I looked up someone was taking a picture. You were awesome Cindy (Mom) so beautiful and joyful. I love you heaps and Steven too.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s