Okay, here’s the deal……
I was desperate to see how these owls looked all assembled. So, I followed the directions and here is my first one. I was not very happy with it. It is not the white background, as you know I was worried about it. I had tried a different neutral color and all you focused on was the white eyes, eerie too. So, white it was going to be.
The first thing that bothered me was that the ears flopped down and I worried they would get snagged on everything. Secondly, the eyes were also just tacked on and they were constantly rotating slightly. They also would probably be snagged easily too. Thirdly, once you had attached the beak and eyes the back side of your square was messy. I wasn’t thrilled with that at all. The buttons are the size specified, but they look much smaller than the pictured ones. This was very minor in my mind and I love the buttons so, we will overlook them.
So, I took this particular square back apart. I unraveled the last two rows of the white. While I re-crocheted the first of the rows back on I slipped a loop of the back of the ear into the chain one corner of the first corner and repeated that to the other ear when I came around to it on the other side. This held the ears in place and my snagging worries were fixed. I finished the last row of white and moved on to my second issue to fix.
Since the beak was perfect as it was, I moved onto reattaching the eyes. The directions did ask you to leave a 6″ strand at each end of the eyes, but this time I left a 10-12″ strand at the end only. I wove the other strand in and out of the way. Threading that 10-12″strand onto a large eyed needle, the button was secured in place first. I decided to slip stitch the edges of the eye all the way around the outer edge. By knotting off and pulling the ends back under the eye I had cured the unsightly mess in the back of the square!
Now I am off and running. This version I can live with. Only 7 more owl squares to finish and I am on my way to assembling this beauty! Back to crocheting……..Cyn